We’re excited that you are looking into our Adult Stroke Refinement program, our classes for adult triathletes, fitness, and Masters swimmers who want to improve their efficiency, speed, and enjoyment. Please contact us if you have questions unanswered by the following sections:
- Program Overview
- Group Class Tuition and Class Size
- Private and Semi-Private Tuition
- Upcoming Class Schedule
Our Stroke Refinement program is for those adults who can swim but want to improve their efficiency, speed, or general swimming enjoyment. This track is appealing to our triathletes who want to improve their swim splits while saving energy for the bike and run.
To enter the program you must be able to swim 100 yards of freestyle or 50 yards of the other strokes without stopping. Our coaches will assume that you have a developed stroke already and are looking to improve its efficiency. If you don’t think you can meet these standards, we would suggest you go through out Adult Learn-to-Swim track.
We use the Total Immersion (TI) method in our programs, a system of technical skill drills and a training methods used to make swimmers faster, more efficient, and effective in the water. Our adults like this approach because it breaks down and builds the strokes and explains how to train in a methodical way that resonates with the adult mind. Your stroke improvement will be targeted so that your time in the water is most effective — something important in our schedule stretched lives.
The Power of 30 Minutes of Coaching
The video below shows the power that even 30 minutes of focused learning can have on your swimming. This clip is a comparison of two video clips: one at the beginning of a 4 person group class and another taken just 30 minutes later. Using the video, underwater mirrors, in-water coaching, and some key stroke drills, we were able to help this swimmer draw some important distinctions on how to move through the water with more effectiveness.
Is his stroke perfect? No. Will he need to practice to integrate his new found balance into muscle memory? Of course. But his stroke is more balance, more streamlined, and the breath is better integrated. And he can feel and visualize what it’s supposed to be like when he’s not struggling. Note: He’s using 40% fewer stroke cycles to swim 15% faster in the clip on the right. Sounds like a pretty good start, huh?
Film of your stroke and position in the water is key! And, of course, the corrective instruction to follow. The instructor breaking down the stroke from his own footage is powerful pedagogical tool. It gave me a lot of confidence in the method. –L.A.
We were there for the purpose of stroke refinement, and my opinion is that the Endless Pool with the underwater camera was instrumental in achieving our goals. This setup allowed for visual feedback and allowed the coach the ability to physically adjust the swimmer, while he was swimming. Impressive and effective. — D.C.
What I like most about CBD is the feedback on correcting technique and drills to correct it so you become more streamlined and FASTER. Both the Endless Pool and real pool have benefits with doing both. I am amazed that Coach Fitz can just watch us and know how many minutes/seconds our strokes should be. Best swim coach in Chicago! — RY
Group Class Formats and Tuition
We currently offer the following stroke refinement workshops:
- TI Level 1 (Effortless Endurance Freestyle) — Learn the essential TI drills and skills to correct all of the stroke faults and habits that keep athletes from swimming smoothly without effort. You’ll learn a skill progression that offers continuing possibilities for improvement. By the end of the day, we will have , and move through skill work to finish the day finding efficient, effortless stroke segments
- TI Level 2 (Smart Speed Freestyle) — In Level 2, we’ll work on metrics such as stroke counts and tempos to understand how to change speeds effectively. We’ll also refine our freestyle and explore technical aspects of the stroke like the catch and the 2-beat kick. We will use Tempo Trainers extensively during this class. If you have your own, please bring it with you so we can calibrate your stroke directly on your own device.
Class Size and Formats
We offer our Adult Stroke Refinement classes in a small group setting. We keep the size of our group classes small to give each swimmer more attention and practice. Our student-to-teacher ratio in these classes is 3:1.
We deliver our Adult Stroke Refinement classes in two different formats:
- One-Day Intensive Workshops — We will go through classroom and pool content in one-day so you can get through the entire progression quickly
- Four-Week Serial Workshops — We will break the classroom and pool content into four parts and we will meet once per week over a month. Each session will be 90 minutes in length — 30 minutes of class time and 60 minutes of pool time
Our group freestyle classes follow the standard Total Immersion format for one-day and serial workshops. Tuition for the class includes:
- 2 Hours of Classroom Time and Video Review
- 4 Hours of Pool Time
- The Total Immersion Effortless Endurance Freestyle Toolkit
- Initial and final video clips with voice-over to help you remember the key items for you to work on in the coming months
- 8 practices for you to do on your own that match the lessons of the workshop
The class tuition amounts are described in the table below. Please note, these are stand-alone classes so our First Timer 10% discount does not apply to these classes.
|Class||Group Class Tuition|
|TI Level 1 (Effortless Endurance Freestyle)||$275.00|
|TI Level 2 (Smart Speed Freestyle)||$275.00**|
** CBD will give a $50.00 discount to the Level 2 for those swimmers who took the Level 1 class with CBD.
In addition to the tuition from the plan you select, you will be charged for a $20.00 annual membership to cover insurance and safety costs. If you continue on with us beyond one year (and we hope you do), you will be charged the annual membership fee on each anniversary you have with us.
Private and Semi-Private Lesson Tuition
While we offer both 25 and 50 minute private lessons, adults seem to work best with 50 minute lessons. With all of the different priorities in our adult lives, having a longer lesson usually allows more work to get done in each session. We offer private lessons in one, two, and three person options; if you would like to do semi-private lessons, you need to provide the other members in the party. Purchases of five lessons at a time will receive a 10% discount.
If you are unsure where you fit in to our group class progression or whether private or group classes best meet your needs, contact our office to schedule a 25-minute Skills Assessment lesson. Our instructor will run you through a series of exercises to determine your current skill level and then will give you an overview of the skills progression that best matches your skills and goals.
If you opt to move ahead with one of our private lesson tuition plans, you will be charged for a $20.00 annual membership to cover insurance and safety costs. If you continue on with us beyond one year (and we hope you do), you will be charged the annual membership fee on each anniversary you have with us.
||25 Minute Single||25 Minute Five Pack||50 Minute Single||50 Minute Five Pack||Tier I Coach
50 Minute Five Pack
|Two Swimmers (Per Person)||$32.50||$146.25||$65.00||$292.50||$373.00|
|Three Swimmers (Per Person)||$25.00||$112.50||$50.00||$225.50||$285.50|
The following table lists the schedule for upcoming Adult Stroke Refinement group classes. If you would like to register for a class, click “Sign Up” to register online or contact our office to check on availability.