We deliver all of our instructional content in private, semi-private
and small-group formats. Our Small Group Clinics have four to six students
with two CBD instructors. Due to our large variety of classes, we may
not offer all of them at the same time. Below is a list of all the
classes offered by CBD. If we are currently not offering one of the
classes below, email us for more information.
Unless you are a current student, we recommend you visit our Find
the Right Class page before you register for a clinic.
Current classes offered by CBD (click on a class to view its description):
- Infant-Toddler II (3 to 4 Years)
- For those toddlers who complete the skills from the Infant-Toddler I class, we want to give them a place to continue to develop skills and endurance with Mom or Dad in the water before moving on to the Preschool Learn-to-Swim sequence on his or her fourth birthday.
- Preschool Aquatics
- This course corresponds to the American Red Cross's "Preschool Aquatics Levels 1-3." In this class, we will work on getting your child comfortable in the water, capable of breathing, proficient at floating and gliding on the front and back, and able to swim some simple strokes on the front and back.
- Preschool Aquatics Plus
- This more advanced Preschool class will allow your child to build onto the skills learned in Preschool Aquatics while waiting for the passing of his or her sixth birthday. We will build great distance, endurance, and refinement to the skills that he or she learned in Preschool Aquatics.
- Level 2: Advanced Swimming and Safety Skills
- Learn the foundations of freestyle and backstroke. Deep water components will teach you
to tread water. The class content assumes completion of the "Level 1: Water Adjustment and Basic Skills" sequence or lessons to place
- Level 3: Stroke Development I
- Refine your freestyle while learning the foundations of breaststroke. Deep water
components will teach you how to jump into deep water. The class content assumes completion of the "Level 2: Advanced Swimming and Safety Skills" sequence or lessons to place out.
- Level 4: Stroke Development II
- This class will refine your freestyle, backstroke, and breaststroke while teaching you
the foundations of butterfly. Deep water components will teach you to do a shallow dive into deep water. The
class content assumes completion of the “Level 3: Stroke Development I” sequence or lessons to place out.
- Level 5: Stroke Refinement, Starts, and Turns I
- The objectives of the "Level 5: Stroke Refinement, Starts, and Turns I" class
are coodination and refinement of freestyle, the fitness strokes (elementary backstroke and side stroke),
and the competitive strokes (backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly). We want to increase the distance you
can swim and begin awareness of how you are swimming the lengths (time, stroke count, and heart rate).
- Level 6: Stroke Refinement, Starts, and Turns II
- The objectives of this level are to refine strokes so participants swim them with more
ease, efficiency, power, and smoothness over greater distances. We will focus on developing your aerobic
fitness to help you swim for fitness. We want you to be able to be comfortable and confident doing open water
swims, triathlons, Masters Swimming, or just doing a mile swim in mixed strokes.
Stroke Technique Improvement
- Swim Assessment
- The Swim Assessment is our video stroke analysis offering. We will videotape you
from underwater and over water from multiple angles and identify 2-3 key areas to help improve your swimming
performance. You will receive a CD containing annotated versions of all video clips.
- Freestyle 1
- In Freestyle 1 you will learn a more efficient form of freestyle with better balance,
rotation, length, timing, and breathing. We assume that you can swim 50–100 yards of freestyle without
stopping before registering for the class.
- Freestyle 2
- Improve your freestyle power and speed by improving your arm pull, your kick, and your
core rotation. Completion of "Freestyle 1" is strongly recommended before registering.
- Freestyle 3
- Apply the skills learned in Freestyle 1 and Freestyle 2 to add greater speed and power to
your stroke. Learn how to adjust tempo and stroke length to pick the right speed to match your training and
racing goals. The class content assumes completion of the "Freestyle 1" and "Freestyle 2" classes or lessons
to place out.
- Butterfly 1
- The Butterfly 1 clinic introduces foundational and stroke integration drills to build
an efficient, sleek and fast version of the butterfly stroke.
- Breaststroke 1
- Learn a faster version of the Breaststroke form emphasizing streamlined body positions and
drag reduction. We will use underwater video to teach you how to do the breaststroke kick effectively.
- Backstroke 1
- The Backstroke Foundations clinic introduces the foundational and stroke integration drills
to build an efficient, sleek and fast version of the backstroke stroke.
- Racing Starts
- The Racing Starts clinic and lesson sequence teaches you how to explode off the blocks
and gain an advantage on the competition.
- Triathlon Skills/Open Water Swimming
- Our Triathlon Skills and Open Water Swim clinics teach you critical skills for conquering
open water races, such as sighting, swimming straight, water entry and exit, and drafting.